Friday, December 10, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Dear Blog,

As we get closer and closer to Christmas more decorations go up, Wesley gets more and more excited and I try to find more ways for our family to make fun holiday memories together. My husband had very different Christmases (at least how he remembers it) from how I did. It is sometimes a battle to kick to Grinch out of him but in the end he usually enjoys the efforts I make and the torture I put him through to make our holidays merry.

I just finished writing out the Christmas cards (going in the mail today!) and I have almost all the gifts for the family and am going to ship those off too. It will be a huge relief to get those sent off. This week we did a couple projects for the holidays.

First, we made Whoopie Pies. For those who don't know, a whoopie pie is two chocolate cakes with a marshmallow cream filling. These can vary but the kind we make are chocolate with marshmallow fluff/icing filling. They are super good and go really fast around here (especially when you are sharing them with friends). It took me quite a while to get the recipe from my mother in law, in fact it took 4 years of marriage and a deployment to get them but it was worth it. My husband says they are better than his mom's when I make them but I think that is only because I double the icing recipe so there is LOTS of fluffy filling. Anyway, here it is for anyone who wants to make a super special treat this holiday season. Williams-Sonoma is selling them on their website-12 for $50. This recipe makes about 16 and will cost you only a fraction of that!

Whoopie Pies:
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla (use a good vanilla like Burbon vanilla, not an extract or imitation vanilla!)
Beat until mixed.


Then add:
2 cups of flour
1.5 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp of cocoa
1 cup of whole milk (I have used 2% and it has turned out fine)
Mix all ingredients together and drop by measured tbsp onto parchment lined cookie sheet. 
*I like to use my Pampered Chef large scoop, it's perfect!*
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 8-9 minutes.


While baking make the filling:
1.5 cups of shortening
12 tablespoons of Marshmallow Fluff
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1.5 cups of confectionary sugar


When cakes are cool slather on the filling and make into little sandwiches. Enjoy! 


Other holiday projects for us have been making paper chains to decorate the windows. It is fun and colorful and a great way to spend some family time together. Just cut up construction paper into strips that are 1 inch by 8 inches (you can make them bigger or smaller, but I like that size and it's easy based on the size of the construction paper- 12 x 8). Then make them into a circle and tape or glue or staple them together. Link as you go!


Window treatments, paper chains.

Our "winter" wreath, hanging inside on the back door.


Henry, Santa's little helper, spreading the Christmas cheer!
My "Pottery Barn" table decorations. Love it!
Our Christmas tree. A little eclectic, a lot of fun!

No comments: