Monday, December 26, 2011

Why I am not a Navy wife...

Seeing as how today is the day after Christmas and we have been cooped up in the house together for three days straight now everyone is getting a little stir crazy. Henry learned how to climb out of his crib to combat his boredom and to add to my insanity. Wesley decided he wanted to put together the "Press out and Play" Pirate ship my mother in law got him for Christmas, also adding to my insanity.
Please note how that pirate ship looks on the front. This will be important later.


I was there when my MIL bought said pirate ship kit and I ok'ed the purchase at the time after a quick glance at it (I had to run and stop Henry from trying to knock over a stack of books before he attempted to climb on the nook table). It looked like a gift that Wesley would like and I didn't check the age on it. But still, looking at it this morning even though the age recommendation on it said 8 & up I figured "Heck, I am a smart, crafty 30 year old. This shouldn't be too hard".

Yeah.

Three hours, a lot of tape, a pair of scissors to cut bigger holes where tabs needed to go through and a glass of Bailey's on the rocks we arrived at this:
Note the large crack down the side. I could not get those tabs to line up right. Most of that is taped so it stays in place.

Also, note the large hole between the main deck and the poop deck. At least I think that is what they are called. It all blurred together after a while-fore, aft, main, mizzen...maybe I should not have had that glass of Bailey's while I was building this ship.

Because Wesley decided to punch out a bunch of the pieces before we got started many went missing and I had to make do. Note that there is a whole section of windows missing from the back of the ship. We did find them later during cleanup and then I had to take half the ship apart to put that piece in.
The ship won't stay attached to the base and as you can see as Wesley was adding the stickers (which in NO way makes it look like the picture on the front of the box) it fell apart some more (more tape to the rescue). Unless you hand painted/colored each piece before putting it together there was no way it was going to end up looking like the front of the box. No way. And unless you glue the thing together this thing is not going to be able to be played with by children. Even then.

Yep, I got beat by a toy that was meant for kids that are a 1/3 of my age. Fail. If it had been a tank I am sure I could have done better. Really.

No comments: