Sunday, August 10, 2008

Good southern cooking





One of my goals before leaving Savannah is to actually learn to cook some "good southern food". I am still working on the fried chicken, but I think I may have mastered the fried green tomatoes. 

We went to the farmers market on Saturday and bought 3 great looking green tomatoes. So, I sliced them dipped them in seasoned buttermilk, coated them with a cornmeal and flour mixture and threw them into our cast iron skillet, hot with oil. The were pretty good for a first try...crispy on the outside with a nice coating, and warm on the inside. We served it with chipotle ranch dressing, I would like to try to make a special dipping sauce just for the tomatoes. One step at a time! 

The whole family helped on this one too-Wesley helped me make the cornmeal mixture, I cooked and Christopher enjoyed them! 

No comments: