Saturday, July 23, 2011

Stuff that scares me.

I am sitting here, writing a draft for a future blog and I look up and on the TV is a preview for an upcoming movie. As soon as I see it, I freeze, paralyzed in fear. I know right now you are searching your brain, trying to think "What movie could she be talking about? What scary movies are coming out now? It's not October, the time of year when Hollywood shoves tons of horror/gore movies down our throats to the point you can't turn on the tv for fear of a commercial scarring my kid for life." Well, I will tell you: It was "Rise of the Planet of the Apes". I would put a picture of it here except the though of googling it and having a picture pop up gives me the willies. There is no way I can do it.

Now, I know you are going, "But Sundee, that is not a "scary" movie. Sci-fi, sure. Maybe there are some thrilling moments in it, but scary? No way. Be serious."

Well, I am serious. I can vividly remember the first time I saw the original "Planet of the Apes". We live in the Cape (for those who don't know, it was our community I grew up in, in Annapolis, MD). It was a weekend and my dad was home and it was showing on tv so he turned it on because "it is a great movie". We all watched it. Well, my brothers and my dad did. I am pretty sure my mom was doing what I do on Saturdays when the rest of the family is watching tv: cleaning/cooking/stuff around the house. I remember watching them discover (spoiler alert!) that the apes had dissected the brain of one of their comrades. I remember watching them trying to escape so they wouldn't have the same thing done to them. And I will NEVER forget the moment when (seriously, spoilers!) they were running across the beach and there was a broken Statue of Liberty sticking out of the sand. It was one of those huge end of movie shocks that doesn't happen very often because movies nowadays are so predictable (since everything is either a book adaptation or a remake). It didn't start becoming a scary movie until I went to bed and the nightmares started. It was horrible. It took me a good two weeks to be able to sleep alone in my room. I couldn't ever watch that movie again. When it comes on TV now as it often does, my family will tease me about it, saying they are going to put it on to torture me. They think it is funny I have a paralyzing fear about this movie. My stepdad, in his coldhearted way decided to watch the whole movie marathon one time when I was at my mom's house visiting. I hid out in my room the whole time terrified of watching the screen. When I went to see the movie "Moulin Rouge" with my friend Ashley I we all settled in my seat ready for a chick flick with friends. The previews started and before I knew it there was the preview for the remake of "Planet of the Apes" starring Mark Wahlberg. There I sat, frozen in my seat. I wanted to get up and run but I was too terrified, I could hardly breath through the anxiety attack I was having. I tried not to watch, not to listen but in a movie theater that is hard. Finally the preview was over and sometime into the first third of the movie I was finally able to relax. But it was horrible. I knew that I would never see that movie and my family teased me mercilessly about it.

I really did try to put in a picture but just googling images makes my hyperventilate so that is just not happening. There is no way I can put something that makes my chest tighten in fear on my blog to see all the time. NO. WAY. Sorry. But I do have a picture of something else that scares me: large sea creatures.

 This started with the life sized blue whale in the Museum of Natural History in DC. The blue whale is no longer hanging up there (but my mother has reassured me it is somewhere nearby, packed up, just waiting for-so not reassuring mom!) but they do have another large whale hanging up there. I can't tell you what type it is because I couldn't look at it without having a panic attack and flashbacks to the time I was getting pulled out to sea by under toe, thinking it was a giant whale sucking me in (I know! I know! They mostly eat plankton and stuff and wouldn't want to eat me if I was the last thing on earth to eat. But still. When you are 8, this is a definite possibility. Anything can happen. Including getting eaten by a giant fish.). I was trying and trying to get back in and NO ONE would help me (even though I was asking for it) and I KNEW it was a bad situation when my mom actually got up from the beach chair and got into the water to rescue me while yelling at the lifeguard for not doing her job. My mom NEVER got into the water. Like, ever. So it was a really big deal.

Anyway, I hopped on yahoo this morning to check my e-mail and lo and behold this is what I see:
previous001SN_Whaleshark_huge1


I realize that many people find this stuff "cool" and "amazing". I just find it terrifying. This is probably one of my worst nightmares (although the worst would be being stuck in a room full of bugs like in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". Christopher asked me once if it were him in the room and I had to reach in and pull the lever to save him would I do it....and I couldn't honestly say yes. That probably makes me a horrible wife but if I did go through with it I would probably end up in a mental institution afterwards so I am not sure that is a better outcome). Anyway, let's just say that the story of Jonah and the "whale" had a REALLY big impact on me as a little kid. 


So, my worst nightmare is probably being sucked up by a giant whale, while being forced to watch "Plant of the Apes" and the only way out is by sticking my hand in a room full of bug and having them (shudder) crawl on me. Horrors. 

No comments: