Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Armageddon! or Earthquakes, Bachlorette parties and Hurricane Irene

What a week! I have quite a bit to report on this week.

First up: Earthquake!
When the earthquake hit last Tuesday we were in Colonial Williamsburg (which is an awesome place to visit, you should go sometime if you haven't been there yet, or lately-fun for everyone). Wesley and I were watching a show and all of a sudden we felt everything (well we thought it was the bench, but then I realized it was the ground moving) sway. It was very surreal and all the parents around me looked around to see if anyone else had flet it and once we got confirmation we were not all going crazy (and that we were not the ones moving a bench on firm tree stumps) everyone who had a smart phone was on them googling "earthquake". And up popped "Virginia, Earthquake, 5.8". I left the theater and went to find my mom (who had been with Henry) to see if she had felt it too. She honestly thought it was from artillery in the area. This was our conversation:
Me: "But Mom, di dyou hear any artillery?"
Mom: "Well, no."
Me: "Then why would you think that?"
Mom: "Well, we are in Colonial times, they do stuff like that here."

Really?

Of course after that I hopped on Facebook and everyone had posted something about it. The irony was that we were in a place where when it was new it would take over a week to get your news. Here I was getting instant updates seconds after it happend. Crazy how far we have come.

We survived the earthquake, made it home then up to Maryland for my future sister-in-laws bachlorette party. Originally we were supposed to go to Ocean City, Maryland for the weekend (beach, our for a fun night then more beach then home-I am not going to lie, it was going to awesome and I was going to get a whole weekend away from being a mom/wife). But then Hurricane Irene decided to not fizzle out as a Tropical Storm and to hit the entire east coast so Ocean City was evacuated. Ok,fine, onto Plan B: weekend in DC! WE cancelled our OC plans, rebooked in DC and were set. Then Obama decided that he should delcare a National State of Emergency (you should have seen that text from the Maid of Honor! But I can't reprint it because I don't put cuss words on my blog and that text was full of them). Lets just say she was a wee bit upset when Plan A AND Plan B didn't work out. So, we had to come up with Plan C. Which was us going to Downtown Annapolis (new part of the plan), dressing up as school girls (old part of the plan) and then crashing at my other brothers' girlfriends' apartment for the night.

If you have ever been to a bachlorette party then you know that I can't reveal about 95% of what actually went on. I can tell you that we got told by the manager of one bar that we went to that our school girl theme was one of the best ones he had ever seen. I can share this one picture, take before we left the house and the partying began:


I will say this though, as a PSA to any guys out there: if you see a group of girls out for a bachlorette party, it is fine to compliment them, congratulate the bride, even buy a round of drinks. But  if you are going to try to "hook up" with them or think that any of them are going home with you, then you are sadly, sadly, mistaken. They are out to have a good time with each other drinking and dancing, NOT to meet guys or hook up with you. It's not gonna happen. Serioulsy.

Also, we ended up going to a bar I used to frequent I was a newly minted 21. They played a couple of songs that night that I was like "Wow, I was here in this bar when this song first came out....9 years ago." I am so old. But hey, I could party with the best of them since I think I drank more but had less of a hangover the next day. Evidently I am an old drunk with a stomach of steel. Or maybe the stomach of steel comes from having two kids both of which are boys. 

However, we did manage to accomplish what we set out to do: have a fantastic bachlorette party in spite of the fact that Hurricane Irene was about to ravage the East Coast.

After all that partying I settled in at my mom's house with the boys to wait out the storm. We got wind. We got 7 inches of rain. The next morning she had lots of branches in her yard which we sent Wesley out to pick up since he was going stir crazy inside the house (and thus making us crazy). It got sunny and warm in the afternoon and we spent the afternoon enjoying the weather out on her deck with my dad and the boys. As of today she still doesn't have power but hopfully she will get it back soon.

Eventful week and I survived it all. Now we will see if we can survive the wedding this weekend....

No comments: