Monday, August 22, 2011

This is not right....

My mom is visitng and of course, we wanted some white wine to go with our game of Phase 10 after the kiddies were put to bed. So, my mom gave me $25 (wine allowance! Yes!) and I headed up to Martin's (a grocery store around here, it is actually "Giant" by a different name even though all the store brand stuff has the Giant logo on it. Weird). I get up there and hit up some good deals-Flip Flop wine 2/$10, a huge double bottle of Black Swan Pinot Grigio for $12, a bottle of Barefoot wine for $5. So, I load up with basket and clink my way up to the register sounding like a wino the whole way. I get up to the register an pull out my cash and start searching for my ID and lo and behold....I realize I left it at home. No ID. Not my military IDor my drivers license. Not cool. But I think, hey I am 30, do I really need to be carded? I mean, I don't look like a 20 year old trying to sneak by getting some alcohol, surely they will let this pass. So I ask "Candace" the check out girl if it i is ok that I don't have my ID while buying alcohol. Nope. No go. She won't do it unless I have my ID. Seriously? I can't tell you the number of times I got served alcohol underage, or bought it from the ghetto liquor store on Bay Dale. Or the number of times I NEVER got carded between the ages of 21-23 (I know it was legal for me then but no one questioned the fact I might be too young to buy it, they just assumed I was old enough). But now that I am the ripe old age of 30 I cannot buy wine for love or money without an ID saying I was born before 1990. I understand (an respect) the girl for doing her job but still....common sense and the stretch marks and gray hair on my head should be enough to tell you I am old enough to legally buy some vino. So, I headed home, in the pouring rain, got my ID, headed back out where "Candace" said she would hold my wine in a brown paper bag for me until I get back. I am gone for less than 10 minutes and when I get back "candace" is no where to be found, she didn't tell anyone about my bag-o-wine and it's no where to be found. Yeah. I totally suspect "Candace" -who could be no more than 17 at the oldest-of taking my bag-o-wine as he liquid lunch. Grrrr. So I had to get more wine (although that barefoot was the last bottle they had and since we couldn't find it I didn't get to purchase it). Thankfully they carded me this time around becasue if they hadn't at that point I would have been so mad. Although it would have made my story a lot funnier in the end.

I guess my Loreal home dye job really did cover those grays. Sad though that at 30, it is harder for me to buy wine than it was when I was 19. What is wrong with this world?

No comments: